The “g” Menu
Watch a tutorial about the Application Menu.
The “g” menu is Granthika's Application Menu. You can open it by clicking on the white “g” at the upper left of the Granthika window.
The “g” menu allows you to access several types of functionality.
The first group of commands allows you to perform several actions relating to projects:
- NEW PROJECT: Create and name a new Granthika project.
- OPEN PROJECT: Open an existing Granthika project.
- DELETE PROJECT: Delete a project you've already created.
- RENAME PROJECT: Give a new name to the project you currently have opened.
The PROJECT BACKUPS command in the application menu brings up a dialog that shows you all the existing backups for the current project, autosaved at a regular schedule.
Click on the hamburger icon to the right of each project name, and you’ll see a menu that will allow you to:
- View this backup in a read-only view in the Editor.
- Save this backup elsewhere.
- Rename the backup with a meaningful name, such as “Novel Version 14.”
Granthika stores its project database, backups, and logs under the user's /Documents/Granthika directory. Users may wish to change this location so they can either take advantage of more space on another drive, or to use backup services such as DropBox.
To change the data folder location click BROWSE to navigate to the directory where you prefer to store the Granthika data folder. Then click SET.
To finalize the change, close the Granthika application. Once the application is restarted, Granthika will move the folder to the new location specified.
You do NOT need to move the folder yourself. The Granthika app performs all necessary operations.
Granthika’s IMPORT menu lets you import from the following file formats:
- PROJECT: You can import a project in Granthika’s native file format i.e. those with a “grantha” extension.
- WORD: You can import a Microsoft Word file into Granthika.
- SCRIVENER: You can import a Scrivener project - you must navigate
- PLAIN TEXT: You can import plain text files into Granthika. These files often (but not always) have the file extension “txt.”
- RTF: You can import an RTF file.
- STORY UNIVERSE: A project’s story universe contains all the existents and events you’ve created within that project. Importing a story universe merges all the existents and events from that universe into the project you’re currently working on. You can thus share your story elements across projects.
Note that you don’t have to create a new project to import a file in any of the above file formats. When you import a file, Granthika will create a new project and name it using the imported file’s name. You can rename the newly created project using the “g” menu’s IMPORT PROJECT functionality.
Granthika’s export menu lets you export files to the following file formats:
- PROJECT: You can export the project you’re currently working on to Granthika’s own native file format.
- WORD: You can export the project you’re currently working on to a Microsoft Word file.
- PDF: You can export the project you’re currently working on to a PDF file.
- SCRIVENER: You can export to and import from Scrivener’s native format. Please note that specific Granthika features may not be available when you export to Scrivener, and likewise, unique Scrivener options may not translate directly to Granthika.
- RTF: You can import a manuscript stored in a RTF file.
- STORY UNIVERSE: A project’s story universe contains all the existents and events you’ve created within that project. Exporting a story universe creates a file that contains all the existents and events from the project you’re currently working on. You can then import this universe into another project, and merge the two universes together. You can thus share your story elements across projects.
You can store a file exported from Granthika anywhere you like.
Granthika’s application menu allows you to access two guides:
- HELP – OWN MANUSCRIPT: Clicking here will show you a step-by-step tutorial which demonstrates how you can work with your own manuscript.
- HELP – SAMPLE MANUSCRIPT: Clicking here will show you a step-by-step tutorial which will show you how to import a sample manuscript and provide instructions for exploring this sample manuscript.
FEEDBACK allows you to send an email to the Granthika team from within the application.
We’d love to hear from you. Criticism, suggestions, and feature requests are all welcome.
If you are reporting a bug or an issue, click on the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog, and Granthika will send additional information about the issue to us
ABOUT brings up a dialog that shows some information about the version of Granthika that you are using, including the version that you are using and the build date.
Granthika is self-updating–each time you start the application, it checks to see if a new version is available. If there is, it immediately downloads and installs this new version.
This means that you don’t have to worry about updating Granthika, ever.